The first week of GSoC is nearly over, so this seems to be the perfect opportunity for an update.
Starting on a positive note, let’s go over the things that well. When I originally planned my project, I expected that I will have to build the low-level subsystems before going on to anything higher-level. Now that I have had some time to go through the original engine’s codebase in depth, I have realized that I don’t need that much low-level work to basically get started. So, I am revising my expectations: I would likely spending a lot of time going back and forth between the low-level subsystems and the actual game code.
Moving towards the actual tangible accomplishments, I have gotten pretty comfortable working with Surfaces, and drawing things to the screen. I started by drawing lines, and then moved on to drawing from the data file. The filesystem I had setup before had a few errors and I spent most of yesterday rooting them out. But it definitely paid off since now I can extract the various tiles, pictures and maps from the MPC file.
Today, I finally nailed down the drawing from file portion. Now that I have a good understanding how to extract data through the ScummVM API, I have managed to draw images and tiles to the game screen. Below is a screenshot of the Logo Screen, with a Ground Tile put on top.
As far as Lua is concerned, I’m just getting started with it and its my next target. From the Lua code I have read in other engines, it seems I have write an extended Lua interpreter with code extensions. Seems doable, but I’m still trying to get a feel for the Lua-C API. As far as the compatibility problem is concerned, I’m going to go ahead with 5.1.3 right on, and add the compatibility file if errors start propping up.
- Setup the LuaScript code so I can load and execute Lua chunks.
- Understand the existing Lua code further, namely how to extend the default interpreter with new functions.
- Once the Lua system properly works, I can try to load the Lua and execute portions of the game.